[whatwg] alt and title attribute exception

Steve Faulkner faulkner.steve at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 12:23:08 PDT 2012

Hi Henri,

you wrote:
"Firefox for Android (at least on the Nightly channel) displays the
content of the title attribute on XKCD comics (up to a length limit
which can often be too limiting) upon tap and hold:
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/screen/xkcd-firefox-for-android.png"

that's useful data, too bad about the truncation issue, as I pointed out in
my recent email to the list, that is an issue for both alt/title fallback
on some desktop browsers.

philip wrote:

" it seems unwise to recommend using the title attribute to convey
important information."

The title attribute has sever limitations in its utiltity, if one goal is
to provide accessible content, I detailed some some cases where it should
and should not be used [1]

"Indeed. In addition to image considerations, I think
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#footnotes is bad
advice."

I agree and have detailed the reasons why [2]

[1] using the HTML title attribute
http://www.paciellogroup.com/blog/2010/11/using-the-html-title-attribute/
[2] http://www.w3.org/html/wg/wiki/ChangeProposals/notitle_annotations

regards