[whatwg] Features for responsive Web design

Odin Hørthe Omdal odinho at opera.com
Fri Aug 10 03:06:47 PDT 2012

On Thu, 09 Aug 2012 18:54:10 +0200, Kornel Lesiński <kornel at geekhood.net>
wrote:

> One stylesheet can be easily reused for   pixel-perfect 1x/2x layout,
> but pixel-perfect 1.5x requires its own sizes incompatible with 1x/2x.
>
>> Apart from it possibly being a self-fulfilling prophecy – isn't this
>> too much premature “optimization” ?
>
> I think we can safely assume that authors will always want to prepare as
> few assets and stylesheets as they can, and will prefer integer units to
> fractional ones (1px line vs 1.3333px line).

I don't see the big problem, I think the spec is fine here. Yes it allows
for putting a float there, but authors won't use it, so what's the
problem? The spec already say you should use the number to calculate the
correct intrinsic size, and the implementation will know what to do with a
float number there if someone finds an actual use for it.

This isn't limiting it for the sake of making anything easier, it's not
like "the x is an integer" is any easier than "the x is a float". And if
you *do* somehow find a good use for it down the line (and I believe there
might be, maybe 0.5x) it'll be there and work. No harm. :)

--
Odin Hørthe Omdal (Velmont/odinho) · Core, Opera Software, http://opera.com