[whatwg] Serialization of expandos on String / Boolean / Number objects

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Aug 23 14:07:44 PDT 2012

On Thu, 23 Aug 2012, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> As far as I can tell, the Structured Clone algorithm has mostly bottomed
> out into JSON, so the loss of expandos on those builtins is intentional
> - keeping them would mean serializing them as objects, rather than as
> literals.

This is correct. With some exceptions (like Blobs and supporting cycles),
we are trying to be close to JSON in terms of the basic data structure.

Supporting things like Strings as primitive types would also make
conversion to other languages much more complicated (most languages don't
have a concept of "object whose value is a string plus a dictionary").