[whatwg] HTMLLinkElement.disabled and HTMLLinkElement.sheet behavior

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Aug 27 23:12:39 PDT 2012

On Tue, 28 Aug 2012, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> On 8/28/12 12:46 AM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> > I've updated the spec to not block on style sheets for nested parser's
> > scripts.
>
> I'm not sure I follow.  What is not going to block on what with this change?
>
> As far as I can tell, "0 1 2" in your testcase at
> http://damowmow.com/playground/demos/document-write-and-scripts/002.html is
> consistent with the following order of execution:
>
> 1)  x=0
> 2)  x1=0,x=1 (nothing else has run yet because we're waiting on
>     blank.js)
> 3)  setTimeout fires, sets x2 = 1
> 3)  second external script runs, sets x = 2.

There's only one external script. The script after the style sheet is
internal. If it blocks, you get "0 1 2" (when x2 gets set to x in the
timeout, it's still x=1, because the next script, which sets x=2, hasn't
run). In Gecko, however, that internal script doesn't block, and so the
timeout runs after x has been set to 2. Hence "0 2 2".

The reason for having the external script in 002.html is that it causes
document.write() to return right there (except in IE9, but that's another
story, not sure what that's about), so you can tell the difference
between how the internal <script> after the <link> is acting when it's
tokenised in a nested tokeniser (001) or the top-level tokeniser (002).