[whatwg] I believe source rectangles for HTML5 Canvas drawImage are specified incorrectly

Kevin Gadd kevin.gadd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 13:17:07 PST 2012

I can't speak for the most common approach in HTML5 games, but using a
temporary surface for drawing sprites is definitely not a common
approach in non-canvas games. I've never seen it proposed before this
thread for canvas dev, either, but I'm not an expert there. This is at
least an area where someone who has a passing familiarity with
graphics programming is not going to have their expectations met.

One reason spritemaps get used is to reduce overhead when deploying
game content. In that case, copying the individual images out is not a
problem and it's no big deal that canvas is specified this way.

Another reason is that in Direct3D and OpenGL, historically state
changes have come at a significant cost, so putting all of your
individual images into a single texture allows you to draw lots of
objects with no state changes. While state changes are dramatically
cheaper on modern hardware, they still aren't free. Of course, this
doesn't necessarily apply to canvas backends, but that's part of why
people do it. If, like me, you're building browser games that use
WebGL where available and use canvas for fallback, it is basically
impossible to convert your texture atlases/spritemaps into individual
images because texture coordinates (and as a result, the canvas source
rectangles used in fallback) can map to any part of the texture.

Re: the efficiency of clips, I don't think you can state that it's
'much more expensive' unless you've tested it. The kind of clip he
describes is absurdly fast on 3D hardware and built into both the
Direct3D and OpenGL specs:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb147354%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
http://www.opengl.org/sdk/docs/man/xhtml/glScissor.xml
It should be possible to apply a similar technique to software canvas
implementations, but I won't claim to know whether that's done. Canvas
clipping in general is certainly more complicated, but what he
described is not. I agree that using clips is a reasonable way to
express that kind of rendering operation (especially since it
simplifies the javascript you have to write) and it allows both of
these use cases - spritemaps and subregion updates - to coexist.

It's also not a safe assumption that subregion updates are common in
games. Certainly any game using Direct3D, OpenGL or WebGL is unlikely
to be doing subregion updates since typically your entire framebuffer
is discarded by the GPU (or at least not reliable) after you
swapbuffers/present. Doing partial updates requires extra effort to
set up offscreen render targets and make copies of pixel data. I
wouldn't be shocked if there are canvas-based games out there doing
subregion updates, but I can't think of more than one or two that I've
ever seen.

If we're talking about optimizing for one use case over another, there
should be data to support that it is the only important use case.
Arguably, it should be possible to provide reasonable performance for
both use cases here...

-kg

--
-kg