[whatwg] Menus and Toolbars

Olli Pettay Olli.Pettay at helsinki.fi
Mon Dec 17 17:39:29 PST 2012

On 12/04/2012 09:27 PM, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Nov 2012, Olli Pettay wrote:
>>
>> I think we need to keep the contextmenu functionality, and I don't see
>> reasons to not to do it the way Gecko has it now (using <menu
>> type="context"> and <menuitem>).
>
> Do you mean as opposed to allowing <menuitem> to refer to commands
> declared elsewhere in the spec?

I'm not against <command> elements.

> The main advantage of command="" is that it allows a context menu (or
> toolbar menu, or anything else if we start adding command="" to other
> elements like <button> or something) to define a command in one place, and
> then refer to it other places, so that an author can e.g. disable it in
> one place and have all the UI update.
>
> I think that's pretty useful. Is this not something Gecko will implement?
> (It's based on XUL...)
>
> I'm also still hoping from input from Safari, Opera, and IE regarding what
> kinds of stuff would be acceptable to implement here.
>

>> type=button might be nice.
>
> Some feedback that was raised on IRC was that it might make more sense to
> have a <button type=menu> that, when clicked, shows the contextmenu="". Or
> a <button type=menu menu=...> that uses the designated menu. Or <button
Yup, some form of these might be ok.
Need to just remember that the contents of <button> are handled differently in
different engines. Some pass the events through <button>, but others
honor the old spec where events aren't supposed to go to child elements
of <button>

> The idea being that it's easier to style a <button> to work like a menu
> button than to style the <menu> element itself, since you really want the
> <menu> element to be styled as part of being the actual menu part.
>

>> In Gecko MenuItem inherits Command, so it has type, label, icon etc. We
>> could merge those two interfaces.
>
> The spec has no Command interface. Do you mean HTMLCommandElement, or the
> command* attributes on HTMLElement?
I mean HTMLCommandElement.
But if we keep <command> the merge obviously shouldn't happen.