[whatwg] Feature Request: Media Elements as Targets for Links

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Wed Dec 19 06:09:59 PST 2012

On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 4:19 AM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com>wrote:

> What should a browser do with a URL ending with #foo&t=10 if there is an
> element on the page with id="foo&t=10"? What about #foo&bar if there is an
> element with id="foo"? I would be surprised if treating #foo& the same as
> #foo were Web compatible...

What if the page already uses this format for the hash, and is using the
key "t" for something else?  I shouldn't need to worry that my hash keys
are suddenly going to gain second meanings.

What if the page uses a different format for the hash?  I use
"#foo/bar?a=b&c=d" (giving me a path segment within the hash, which is
extremely useful).

What if the video element doesn't exist on page load, because it's created
by dynamically by a script?  You can't simply apply the time to every
video, since the page might be going through a playlist and you surely
don't want "t=30" to cause every song or video in the playlist to start at
30s.

--
Glenn Maynard