[whatwg] Fwd: fallback section taking over for 4xx and 5xx responses while online

Michael Nordman michaeln at google.com
Thu Dec 20 15:44:56 PST 2012

It'd be loads better if application logic were directly responsible for
making these sort of policy decisions regarding what cached resource to use
under what circumstance. Obscure least-common-denominator rules baked into
the user agent with even more obscure ways to override that
least-common-denominator behavior just isn't working out very well.

> In my opinion the UA should *always* use server returned...

And in some other developers opinion, that would defeat efforts to make the
client resilient to 5xx errors.