[whatwg] Canvas: dash list API

Cameron McCormack cam at mcc.id.au
Sat Dec 22 05:12:38 PST 2012

> Is there not some way we can have a lineDash attribute that returns a
> manipulatable object that inherits from Array rather than the current
> Java-like API? I remember this was discussed when getLineDash() and
> setLineDash() were added, but I think it's worth taking another look
> at this.
>
> (For URLs I want something similar for path segments and I'd rather
> not introduce get/set methods.)

Does it need to inherit from Array?  I think we can do this as long as
the canvas context object does not need to "watch" the Array object for
changes.  (This is technically already possible by just using "object"
as the type, and handling assignments of non-Array objects in the
attribute definition.)

We could have an Array type in Web IDL, which just means "a reference to
an Array object" and which also doesn't do any type coercion when
assigning to array elements or anything.