[whatwg] A few questions on HTML5

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Wed Feb 1 17:28:54 PST 2012

On Tue, 3 Jan 2012, Mani wrote:

> I had a few quick questions on HTML5 (I have been looking at it for
> about a month now, and I am fascinated by the possibilities).
>
> 1. I believe HTML5 will use no DTD, is that right? So there will be
> rules for HTML5 processors (browsers) that they should follow?

Assuming you mean for parsing purposes, the rules to follow are:

   http://whatwg.org/html#parsing

> Can you also comment as to why?? (I believe the reason is to support not
> well-formed HTML and still not contradict other standards.??)

HTML is no longer based on SGML, so it's no longer relevant.

> 2. Will XHTML5 have a DTD, because XHTML5 must be well-formed?

You can provide DTDs if you like, but there are no formal ones. DTDs
aren't required to define parsing rules for XML, and are insufficient to
describe all the conformance requirements that validators are required to
check for.

HTH,