[whatwg] RWD Heaven: if browsers reported device capabilities in a request header

Matthew Wilcox mail at matthewwilcox.com
Mon Feb 6 05:49:35 PST 2012

I've asked Bruce Lawson (one of the Opera boys) about this, and it's not
likely to happen with HTTP. However, SPDY compresses headers as well as
multiplexes, and it's a much more realistic request to get useful headers
sent over a SPDY connection than it is over HTTP.

As for how useful it is - it's very very useful. Traditionally I don't
think the requirement to adapt content assets to device capability has been
that important, because other methods were available (including the
god-awful mess of the UA string). That's going to be less and less useful
as the variety of devices continues to balloon and the UA string becomes
less and less sane.

We need the server to know about the device. We need headers.