[whatwg] RWD Heaven: if browsers reported device capabilities in a request header

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Mon Feb 6 09:49:58 PST 2012

On 2/6/12 12:45 PM, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>> This might be a valid use case for a device capability API since
>> different devices may have completely different platform conventions for
>> UI and workflow such that using the same UI as the one served for desktop
>> computers isn't desirable.
>
> Yep. TV for example. (I'm still sympathetic to Boris' point that most often
> the developer does a terrible job of this, but that's why I can choose to
> use someone else's services instead of trying to tell all developers they
> can only make things the way I like them).

For what it's worth, I wasn't claiming that developers do a terrible job
of this.  In the cases when people actually do it, they do a reasonable
job.  It's just really hard to do, so most people don't really bother,
which makes total sense to me.

-Boris