[whatwg] RWD Heaven: if browsers reported device capabilities in a request header

Charles McCathieNevile chaals at opera.com
Tue Feb 7 08:46:38 PST 2012

On Tue, 07 Feb 2012 15:13:03 +0100, Matthew Wilcox
<mail at matthewwilcox.com> wrote:

> Personally, I think the issue of adapting resources to client
> capabilities is here to stay.

For sure, although the mechanisms might evolve.

> Devices of significantly varied size and performance are here to stay,

Yes...

> and adapting images to suit is only one example of smart resource
> adaption - it doesn't seem like it would become irrelevant until all
> devices are memory and processor monsters over high speed connections.

Actually I suspect the end condition is "until memory and processing and
bandwidth are all free" which is slightly different.

> Which is going to take decades, if it ever happens.

I will be surprised if I see it.

Anyway, I would really encourage you to look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Device_Description_Repository andperhaps
something like http://www.openddr.org/ or the commercial solutions that
deal with this area.

cheers

     je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan litt norsk