[whatwg] Quirks Mode Standard

L. David Baron dbaron at dbaron.org
Sun Feb 12 08:31:15 PST 2012

On Friday 2012-02-10 10:37 -0500, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
> I agree that having the list for lengths reduces the scope of the
> problem somewhat.  But the color quirk means that any shorthand that
> includes colors will run into ambiguity issues if any keywords for
> any subproperty only use letters in the range a-f.  I _think_ we
> can't hit that case now, but going forward that will either place a
> restriction on keyword values or we'll need to define how to resolve
> the ambiguity somehow.

For the record, Gecko doesn't implement any CSS keywords or units
that contain only the characters a-f (treating any -moz- prefixes as
not present).

However, if I double the search range to a-l, then Gecko implements
the following units:
  ch
  deg
and the following keywords:
  all
  cell
  deck
  field
  fill
  hide

So I don't think it's an unrealistic worry that we might have some
such keywords in the future.  (Consider, for example, 'fade'.)

More importantly, though, if Gecko encounters an ambiguity between
color and keyword in a property that accepts both, it will pick the
keyword.

-David