[whatwg] HTMLForms: Implicit Submission with {display:none} button

Glenn Maynard glenn at zewt.org
Tue Feb 21 19:20:07 PST 2012

On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> > (It also explicitly says that if implicit submit is supported but

> there's no submit button in the form, the implicit submit must still
> > happen.  That doesn't sound like it could be followed, since lots of
> > pages are probably depending on the absence of a submit button
> > suppressing implicit submit. That's just backwards-compatibility, not
> > platform conventions, though.)
>
> Do you have any such pages to point to?

Nope, only the assumption that the weird browser behavior related to this
could only be for that reason.  I'll be happy if this proves unnecessary;
this ugliness has caused me headaches in the past.

On Sun, 25 Sep 2011, Ryosuke Niwa wrote:
> > Why is this authoring question? As an user, I'd like to know whether
> > pressing enter in my text field triggers implicit submission or not.
>
> Whether it does or not should be based on the conventions of the platform.

I don't think the existence of implicit submit should depend on platform
conventions, though, for interop on forms without visible submit buttons.
 The form implicit submit takes is a platform convention, but it should be
required to exist in some form or another.

--
Glenn Maynard