[whatwg] Encodings and the web

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Fri Jan 6 07:38:35 PST 2012

On Thu, 22 Dec 2011 15:33:35 +0100, L. David Baron <dbaron at dbaron.org>
wrote:
> This seems like one of those areas where it may be substantially
> easier to figure out what implementations do by looking at their
> code than by reverse-engineering, at least for the implementations
> whose code is available publicly.
>
> Gecko's code lives in
> http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/intl/uconv/ .  There
> are others who know it substantially better, but I or others could
> probably answer questions you have about how it works and how to
> understand it.
>
> I'm not the right person for pointers to other implementations,
> though.

Thanks, I'm doing a combination of code inspection, reverse engineering
(especially for edge cases), and applying some lessons we learned (e.g.
non-greedy error handling).

So far I defined the to Unicode algorithms for hz-gb-2312, euc-jp,
iso-2022-jp, and shift_jis.

http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/encoding/raw-file/tip/Overview.html

Feedback welcome!

--