[whatwg] Call for Clarification of the Menu Element Et Al.

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jan 17 14:20:52 PST 2012

On Sat, 9 Jul 2011, Hugh Guiney wrote:

> 1. How does one know whether to wrap a nested menu in li or leave it as
> a direct child element? Are these semantically-equivalent "coding
> styles" or is there a difference?

There is no difference. It's only a matter of what you want the fallback
to look like in older browsers.

> 1.1. When marking up a menu specifically with *multiple* menu items, is
> menu/li the only way to do it or would menu/menu also be appropriate?

Nested menus means submenus.

> 2. What is the difference between a menu containing command elements and
> a menu containing form controls? Do they merely favor future and legacy
> UAs respectively?

There's no difference except <command> doesn't show in old browsers.
(Which might be good or might be bad depending on what you want.)

> 3. The spec should provide examples demonstrating when it is better to
> use context vs. toolbar vs. list, as these are very similar in concept.
> I could easily see them being misappropriated.

Well you'd use a context menu when you want a context menu, and a toolbar
when you want a toolbar... those seem pretty clear. :-)

The "list" feature is just for backwards-compatibility, it's not really
needed.

> 4. In the first example, what renders the button UI? Is it
> menu[@type=toolbar]/li, or li/menu? Or is it implied CSS?

Not sure what you mean.

> 4.1. Furthermore, should this example even depict a button UI, given
> that most graphical interfaces display top-level toolbars as text/icons
> against a [mostly] solid background Were a UA to render the example as
> demonstrated, would designers not have to style away the button
> appearance in order to achieve a look & feel that matches user
> expectation?
>
> Obviously, this would not be the case in "secondary" (or n-ary)
> toolbars, for instance as in word processors, where everything below the
> initial row are usually buttons. Could there be a way, then, whether in
> markup or CSS, to denote whether a toolbar is displayed as a
> "primary"/"top-level" toolbar or not?

Theoretically, the styling here is expected to be done via CSS
pseudo-elements.

> 5. Provide more/graphical/clearer examples, to aid both browser vendors
> in deciding how to implement the elements, and authors in having an idea
> of what result they can expect from using them. The NPC form, for
> instance, does not say exactly what it is or does, nor does it represent
> a common UI convention. The only thing I can think of that comes close
> is Spotlight in OS X (if I'm interpreting it correctly), which I don't
> think I've ever seen in a [presumed] game before.

Adding items to context menus seems like a pretty well-understood
convention; could you elaborate on why this example is confusing?

> 6. How is the command element rendered within a menu context when
> JavaScript is disabled? Is it meant only for non-essential actions? If
> it isn't, shouldn't it be able to be non-empty, so it can fallback to
> links or buttons? Or is the only possible fallback replicating every
> command with form controls that aren't direct children of the parent
> menu?

You can use form controls (no <command> at all) when you want fallback.

> 6.1 On that note, why is the spec enabling the use of unstyled spans to
> achieve alternative rendering? Doesn't this give meaning (however
> contextual) to an element that is supposed to be semantically neutral?

Not sure what you mean.

> 7. Is the menu element always to be rendered in-page or could it be
> displayed within the OS itself? Kroc Camen
> (suggests)[http://camendesign.com/blog/stop_this_madness] the latter but
> at present there is nothing in the spec about such an implementation. If
> this is left up to the UA how will developers know how/if to style it
> without using browser detection?

The goal for toolbars is for them to be in-page.

On Mon, 11 Jul 2011, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:

> Really, since there are no browser implementations yet, it's best to
> *not* use it yet.  Without any feedback in the form of actually seeing
> it work, there's a good chance you'll accidentally get it wrong.  As
> well, your early use of it counts as legacy usage if we decide that,
> upon attempting to implement it, it needs to be changed.

Indeed.