[whatwg] Proposal: "Offline-Capable" Meta Tag and API Indicates Application's Ability to Function Without Network Connection

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Jan 27 10:34:40 PST 2012

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011, Justin Novosad wrote:

> I think this is a very interesting proposition.  I would like to add
> that there should also be UA-native indication to the user that an app
> can become offline-capable upon request, along with a mechanism for
> requesting offline capability, and for triggering app data
> synchronization.  The motivation being that there should be a universal
> way to manage the state of all offline capable apps at the browser/OS
> level.

These seem like reasonable problems to try to address. I recomend
approaching the browser vendors and asking if they would be interested in
these features. Browser vendor experience, and seeing what kind of
adoption these features get, is key to determining whether it's worth
adding this or not.

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Brian Blakely wrote:

> Data transfer ends when the user closes the browser, making huge 700MB
> applications impossible.  How many are willing to keep a loading tab
> open for half an hour or more?

What kind of app are you considering that needs 700MB at once?

> The current paradigm of page loading does not work for very large
> applications that need all of their assets before they can run
> functionally offline.  Games and multimedia applications are almost
> always this way.

For such apps I would recommend using the appcache feature and structuring
the app so that it doesn't need to be fully cached before it'll work.