[whatwg] Can we deprecate alert(), confirm(), prompt() ?

Ojan Vafai ojan at chromium.org
Tue Jan 10 16:51:09 PST 2012

On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Adam Barth <w3c at adambarth.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 2:35 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > On Tue, 14 Jun 2011, Adam Barth wrote:

> >> I believe the motivation is to be able to close tabs quickly.  If a tab
> >> doesn't register for any unload / beforeunload events, the tab can be
> >> kill instantly.  If the site registers for unload but not beforeunload,
> >> then, today, we need to wait for JavaScript to execute before closing
> >> the tab.  Without the ability to trigger alert and friends during
> >> unload, we can hide the tab instantly and unload it in the background.
> >>
> >> We have lots of stats for how many tabs would benefit from this
> >> optimization and how much time would be saved.  It's surprisingly large.
> >
> > Any news on this? If Chrome was able to do this, it would be worth
> putting
> > in the spec to give cover to other browsers interested in the same
> > potential performance improvement.
>
> Ojan probably has more concrete data.  I think we got one or two
> complaints, but no major problems.

The only complaint I'm aware of is in http://crbug.com/97206. The bug
comments are confusing. The primary issue there is WebKit not firing
beforeunload/unload from frames in some cases, but there is one comment
about code that calls "confirm" from unload handlers followed by a sync XHR
to save data that now breaks.

Ojan