[whatwg] input type=date

Cameron Heavon-Jones cmhjones at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 11:39:55 PST 2012

On 12/01/2012, at 7:20 PM, Schalk Neethling wrote:

> Ok, so reading some of the discussion, maybe being more precise with our html lang= would help or, is this not inherited down the chain so, when declaring input type=date, one needs to specify lang=en-US?
>
> Will that have the desired effect as described earlier in the thread?
>
> Schalk

No, the current state is that the user's preferred locale will always be used for localization.

If the language resolution algorithm was being used you would be able to define it through the lang attribute or through http headers.

If you want to have specific localization you will have to roll your own, you could still define the language on the attribute but you would need to perform the formatting yourself using javascript.

Thanks,
Cam