[whatwg] Augmenting HTML parser to recognize new elements

Henri Sivonen hsivonen at iki.fi
Fri Jan 20 07:03:09 PST 2012

On Wed, Jan 18, 2012 at 8:19 PM, Dimitri Glazkov <dglazkov at chromium.org> wrote:
> A typical example would be specifying an insertion point (that's
> <content> element) as child of a <table>:

>    <content>
>    </content>
>
> Both <shadow> and <template> elements have similar use cases.

This doesn't comply with the Degrade Gracefully design principle. Is
this feature so important that it's reasonable to change table parsing
(one of the annoying parts of the parsing algorithm) in a way that'd
make the modified algorithm yield significantly different results than
existing browsers? Have designs that don't require changes to table
parsing been explored?

> What would be the sane way to document such changes to the HTML parser
> behavior?

A change to the HTML spec proper *if* we decide that changes are a good idea.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen at iki.fi
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/