[whatwg] input element list attribute and filtering suggestions

Scott González scott.gonzalez at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 17:07:54 PST 2012

On Fri, Jan 20, 2012 at 6:41 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 7:24 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > > My overarching point, however, is that this is a UI issue, and not an
> > > authoring issue.
> >
> > The overarching counterpoint is that in-page UI *is* an authoring issue,
> > because authors want to control exactly how their page looks and
> > behaves.  Browser/chrome UI issues shouldn't be standardized, but page
> > UI issues absolutely should (at least in many cases).
>
> I disagree with this, at least in terms of a general guiding principle.

I agree with Ian. I'm not sure how/why something like autocomplete should
be treated different than select elements or alert dialogs. If you need a
lot of control over the appearance or functionality, don't rely solely on
native controls; enhance them with custom JS and CSS. I don't think it's
reasonable for standards to try to address all appearance and functionality
issues. The native implementations should work for everyone and be "good
enough" for the majority. The rest is up to page, library, and framework
authors.