[whatwg] <source>s in <video> by quality as well as codec

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Wed Jul 4 08:13:31 PDT 2012

On 6/6/2012 1:32 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> I believe right now there are two proposals under discussion that are
> trying to address the adaptive streaming issues:
> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/audio/raw-file/tip/streams/StreamProcessing.html
> and
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/media-source/media-source.html
>
> I believe both are still somewhat at the experimental level and need
> harmonization, but they are both being worked on at the W3C.

cases, but it falls a little short in expressiveness.
It was not designed for adaptive streaming. I don't think it needs to
be: as Ian pointed out, an adaptive channel with endpoint negotiation
would be ideal.

And we may just end up with a new scheme: my+magic+adaptive+scheme://.
WHATWG has experimented with new URI schemes such as "enc:".

Magnet has become more common-place.

Here's what it looks like:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:e1eaf0ce97d0a3dfd7da9fac32cffe63fcda7b66&dn=Mozilla+Firefox+13.0&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.istole.it%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.ccc.de%3A80

There is a [reasonably] secure hash and 4 reference servers.

The magnet URI technique is going to keep evolving anyway, but I thought
it'd be nice if we took a look at it, to see if there's any further use
in relation to media streaming.

One might for instance, provide additional data, pointing to a set of
http servers and perhaps an alternative as well, pointing to a smaller
file size.

-Charles