[whatwg] <style scoped> available as experimental feature, discussing @-rules

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Jul 9 13:09:03 PDT 2012

On Wed, 7 Mar 2012, Roland Steiner wrote:

> In this regard, I would also like to try to re-ignote the discussion on
> the fate of @-rules within <style scoped>: As has been discussed on
> these mailing lists previously, as well as informally, implementing a
> scoped version of @font-face is quite difficult, and there are several
> voices against even attempting it. Consequently, without an
> implementation of @font-face, it may make more sense to also ignore
> @keyframes and @region for consistency reasons rather than have a
> mix-and-match, even though the latter 2 shouldn't be that hard to
> implement.
>
> What are your thoughts on this?

I think not supporting @font-face would suck, but not enough to destroy
the feature. Not supporting the others seems more serious. If nobody
implements them, then the spec will eventually say they aren't to be
implemented. If anyone ever does implement them, then they'll be something
to implement for compatibility.

Generally though it seems lame to not support them. :-)