[whatwg] alt and title attribute exception

Chaals McCathieNevile w3b at chaals.com
Tue Jul 31 02:48:52 PDT 2012

On Tue, 31 Jul 2012 11:18:37 +0200, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj at opera.com>
wrote:

> AFAICT there's also no way to read the alt attribute on Opera Mobile.

You mean title, right?

(alt can be read by turning of image loading - although the famous bug
http://a11ybugs.org/bug-3.php (I know a few versions of it in Opera's BTS)
doesn't help).

> I don't know what conclusions to draw, but if the situation is the same
> on other mobile browsers and they are also unwilling to change, it seems
> unwise to recommend using the title attribute to convey important
> information.

To understate it like an english gentleman :)

> Of course, it would be equally unwise to use any other new or existing
> attribute unless mobile browsers expose them in some way.

Right. If we agree that something really matters, we can always file bugs
against browsers. Or write extensions, for when the Opera Mobile build
with that capability goes from labs to release :)

cheers

--
Chaals - standards declaimer