[whatwg] alt and title attribute exception

Steve Faulkner faulkner.steve at gmail.com
Tue Jul 31 12:51:48 PDT 2012

Hi Leif,

There is a distinction between what browsers should do to provide fallback
and what should be promoted in the spec as a desired authoring pattern.
browsers support many non conforming markup patterns.

Because webkit browsers display title attribute content if alt attribute is
not present, it is not a reason for making the markup pattern conforming.

I believe the reasoning for the must requirement for browsers not to
display alt in the same way as title, was to remove a reason for authors to
use alt to provide advisory information, if so, similarly making the use of
title without alt non conforming removes the legitimacy of the markup
pattern that results in the same thing.

Anyway this discussion is moving off the crux of the issue with allowing
title when alt is not available. It promotes the use of the title attribute
for the presentation of text content for all users at all times when due to
long running browser implementation realities it is not available to some
users when it should be.

regards

Stevef

--