[whatwg] register*Handler and Web Intents

Bjartur Thorlacius svartman95 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 3 12:04:35 PDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 02, 2012, Ian Hickson wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Feb 2012, Bjartur Thorlacius wrote:
> >
> > Windows Explorer (the file manager) does for example offer users to edit
> > images upon right-click. I worry that if URI scheme handlers need not
> > only take care of fetching but also of presentation, other actions than
> > view will be unnecessarily hard to implement. Thus I figure retrieval
> > and presentation must be separated.
>
> I don't really see how you would tell the browser what the action is.

Users can select actions from context menus. The context menus are populated with the registered actions applicable for the context resource (filtered using the media type as a criterion).

Example (just skip it if the above is clear):
	1. An UA registers an intent (e.g. as found in an <intent> tag)
	2. The UA embeds an image in an interactive document rendering for an user
	3. The user opens a menu of actions pertaining to the image:
		* view (in original resolution)
		* share (on Flickr, via email, or using Bittorrent and an entry in The Pirate Bay)
		* edit (using either Photoshop or Gimp)
	4. The user selects the edit menu, and thereunder Photoshop.

	The only attribute of network protocols that is of concern to most users is authentication. Many also care about encryption. Everything else is a technical detail that should be completely transparent, both to users and composers and viewers.