[whatwg] Readiness of script-created documents

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Jun 11 15:46:20 PDT 2012

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> I think we should aim higher than that for the web platform.

I agree with Jonas here. If browsers are going to have to change anyway,
why not change to the better solution, even if that isn't the solution
that is most trivial to implement or the solution that the first
implementation happened to have? The platform has enough crazy without us
adding more to it when we don't have to.

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012, Jonas Sicking wrote:

> Sounds like a bug, I don't think this was done on purpose. I agree that
> we should ideally only be in "loading" when we're actually loading.

When a document is aborted the state is more or less left exactly as it
was when it was aborted. This includes the readiness state. It also means
no events fire (e.g. no 'load', 'unload', or 'error' events), a number of
scripts just get abandoned without executing, appcache stuff gets
abandoned, queued calls to window.print() get forgotten, etc.

Aborting a document is a very heavy-handed measure. Documents are not
expected to last long after they have been aborted, typically. Pages
aren't expected to remain functional beyond that point.