[whatwg] Fullscreen events dispatched to elements

Jer Noble jer.noble at apple.com
Tue Jun 5 10:08:08 PDT 2012

On Jun 5, 2012, at 1:06 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk at annevk.nl> wrote:

> Why should we standardize this if we always notify the document? Is
> there a benefit to notifying both the element and the document?

I think Vincent put forward a reasonable argument.  The document is a finite, shared resource.  Requiring authors to share that resource will inevitably lead to conflicts.  Those (hypothetical) conflicts may be manageable, but including the fullscreen element in the event dispatch gives developers a means to avoid them entirely.

> For better or worse, existing implementations are still prefixed as
> far as I know and incompatible with each other. So that in itself is
> not really an argument for changing the standard.

Of course.  I was just pointing out an alternate solution.

-Jer