[whatwg] MediaController feedback

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Tue Jun 5 15:02:10 PDT 2012

On Mon, 4 Jun 2012, Jer Noble wrote:

> This too looks good.  We already store the results when we report the
> controller state, so at a first glance, exposing this property will be
> trivial.

Make sure you're setting the attribute at the right time. There's some
careful jumping through hoops in the spec to make sure the attribute
doesn't update before the events are just about to fire.

> >> I would like to propose three changes to the spec:
> >>
> >> + Modify the section "bring the media element up to speed with the
> >> new controller"[5] to require that a media element added to a playing
> >> media controller must begin playing, and one added to a paused media
> >> controller must pause.
> >>
> >> + Modiy the section "controller . play()"[6] to require that the user
> >> agent unpause all the slaved media elements.
> >>
> >> + Modify the section "controller . pause()"[7] to require that the
> >> user egent pause all the slaved media elements.
> >>
> >> + Remove the section from "user interface"[8] which requires the user
> >> agent unpause all the slaved media elements, quoted above.
> >
> > I don't really understand this proposal. Could you elaborate on this?
>
> Sure.
>
> The overall purpose of the modifications is to achieve the following:
> when controller.play() is called, all slaved media elements
> unconditionally will begin playing.

I don't think this is a good idea. If the user has paused one of the
slaves, and then pauses and resumes the whole thing, the paused media
element shouldn't resume. It should remain paused.

> Whatever use case is served by allowing a paused media element to remain
> paused in a playing media controller, that use case could also be
> achieved by removing the element from the media controller, then pausing
> it.

That only works if there's JavaScript doing the removing. The idea here is
that this should all work even without any JS, just with UA UI.