[whatwg] Proposal: "Offline-Capable" Meta Tag and API Indicates Application's Ability to Function Without Network Connection

Brian Blakely anewpage.media at gmail.com
Thu Jun 7 16:04:51 PDT 2012

Hi Ian,

I agree to the extent that nobody knows what works best at this point
(though I could point to some examples of good implementations). UA
implementation would certainly evolve, just as Fullscreen implementations
have been.

My major concern is that, as web developers learn, leverage, and master
various offline technologies, widespread adoption alone could take years,
and that is before developers begin to finesse their UIs.

The main purpose of the proposal is to accelerate the uptake of the offline
Web.  A UA hook for users helps to break us away from "the web is
online-only, forever" and a simple API for a dev will encourage
implementation.

Cheers,
-Brian