[whatwg] Proposal for change in recommendation for loading behavior of non-applicable stylesheets

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Sun Jun 10 19:54:40 PDT 2012

On 6/10/12 4:33 PM, Scott Jehl wrote:
>> One issue with this is that in many cases the UA may not yet know what
>> media queries apply to the document when starting the sheet loads.  In
>> some cases it does, of course, but those may be rarer than you think…
>
> That makes sense. For my own understanding, do you have any examples of media queries that can't be determined until a later time?

Well, for example inside an iframe determining whether a width query
matches requires flushing out DOM construction, style computation, and
layout on the parent document.  Right now none of that is done, at least
in Gecko, when kicking off a stylesheet load.

And note that this would be racy: the iframe width might depend on other
things in the parent document that haven't loaded yet (e.g., think a
grid layout where the sizes of the grid cells depend on images whose
intrinsic size is not known yet).

Even for a non-iframe document in Gecko right now the style loads can
start before any sort of presentation has been set up and before the
document knows what screen it's on, which viewport it's being rendered
into, etc.  Communicating this information to the style loader is
obviously possible, but would involve flushing out various work that's
done lazily and reduces parallelism opportunities....

> I'd presume a UA would be able to run these before a page has begun loading, or at least after a meta[name=viewport] element has loaded (so that would need to come before stylesheets in the head to take advantage of this feature).
>
>   Is that not the case?

I don't think we can rely on it being the case, necessarily....
especially long-term (e.g. the addition of <meta viewport> changed how
all this stuff works, and I bet there will be future spec changes that
change it too).

> I'm not entirely sure I understand your iframe example and how it would relate to the media query differently than any viewport width.

See above about having to do extra work, not normally needed, to lay out
the parent document and the inherent races that entails.

> Okay. But even if a user's preferences have previously changed the default font-size of the browser (say, by increasing their font size), wouldn't the UA would be privy to that size at load time, and be able to use that in determining whether, say, an EM-based media query was applicable to the viewport width or not?

The point is that if the sheet is not loaded at all and then the user
zooms the page so that the viewport size changes while the page is
loaded... what happens? Recall that this part of the proposal was to not
load the sheet at all, as opposed to lazy-loading it.  Lazy-loading is
definitely desirable, though I'd be wary of the specs requiring it,
especially because such requirements are not easily testable.  E.g.
nothing in the spec actually has any requirements at all on starting
rendering.

I'm not sure what the sanest thing is to do here in spec terms.  :(

-Boris