[whatwg] communicating plugin state (primarily for click-to-play)

Ilya Sherman isherman at chromium.org
Tue Jun 12 13:11:21 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 11:47 PM, Adam Barth <w3c at adambarth.com> wrote:

> I've had good luck with the click-to-play feature in Chrome.  It might
> be worth giving it a try on sites that are causing you trouble to see
> whether it handles them well or poorly.
>
> One thing that's helpful w.r.t. script errors is the observation that
> sites need to wait for plug-ins to load asynchronously.  If a plug-in
> that's awaiting a click acts like a plug-in that's still loading from
> the network, there's a good chance that the script on the page will
> wait for the user to activate the plug-in before attempting to
> communicate with it.
>
> We have had some complaints along the lines you describe, but
> interestingly mostly from web site operators, not from users.  (Users,
> myself included, seem quite happy with the feature.)  One thing we
> recommend is that web site operators give plugins some height and
> width until they're loaded.  That way users have something to click on
> to activate them.

FWIW, a contrasting user perspective: I tried using Chrome's click-to-play
feature for several months, and eventually gave up on it because it broke
too many websites, both due to timing issues and UI issues.  I now instead
keep plugins disabled, and temporarily enable individual ones when a
website I'm using requires them.