[whatwg] Proposal for Links to Unrelated Browsing Contexts

Charlie Reis creis at chromium.org
Thu Jun 14 10:44:58 PDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:59 AM, Simon Pieters <simonp at opera.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 01:44:12 +0200, Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf at coredump.cx>
> wrote:
>
>  Any feedback on this revised approach?
>>>

>> My vague concern is that the separation is a bit fuzzy, beyond saying
>> that window.opener will be null... if that's the only guaranteed
>> outcome, then maybe that should be spelled out more clearly?
>>

> rel=noreferrer already has this feature, FWIW.
>
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/**web-apps/current-work/**
> multipage/links.html#link-**type-noreferrer<http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/links.html#link-type-noreferrer>
>
> "This keyword also causes the opener attribute to remain null if the
> hyperlink creates a new browsing context."

Right.  I mention that in my proposal under "Current Usage and
Workarounds," since I'm hoping to get more or less the same behavior but
without the Referer blocking.

You're correct that rel=noreferrer has the same issues around named
windows, so perhaps we should try to get both features to behave the same
way (either allowing named but unrelated browsing contexts to be
discoverable or not).

Charlie