[whatwg] Why won't you let us make our own HTML5 browsers?

Mark Callow callow_mark at hicorp.co.jp
Mon Jun 25 03:14:37 PDT 2012

On 19/06/2012 18:56, Chaals McCathieNevile wrote:

>> In both cases it is an existential threat to freedom and civil
>> liberties.
>
> I think that is overstating the case. A *lot*.
It is not.

This is not the venue to discuss this so I will not reply on this list
to any further messages but as the simple statement above is
unsatisfactory, I will briefly list some supporting points.

Re: platform providers

Due to Apple's level of control I cannot run the browser of my choice on
iOS.

The Kindle, Windows 8 Metro, iOS and probably Android and ChromeOS have
mechanisms whereby the platform provider can remotely delete
applications & content and the licenses include language making you give
permission for them to do this.  One only has to recall how quickly
Amazon folded over the Wikileaks matter to see how profoundly dangerous
is the mere existence of such capability.

Re: government

The dangers here are more obvious, such as the systems the US government
has put it place by which it can prevent anyone traveling without giving
any reason why and those which gather, in massive databases, the
photographs and fingerprints of anyone who visits the USA and any legal
permanent resident who wishes to travel outside the USA.

In these cases, and many others, it is ease of misuse, and government
penchant for overreach, which makes these things so dangerous to civil
liberties and human rights.

Regards

    -Mark