[whatwg] suggestin a minor addion to the DOM

Chaals McCathieNevile w3b at chaals.com
Thu Jun 28 11:48:08 PDT 2012

On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 20:43:37 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 11:38 AM, Chaals McCathieNevile <w3b at chaals.com>
> wrote:
>> On Thu, 28 Jun 2012 03:03:48 +0200, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi at gmx.net>
>> wrote:

>>> Why would users want that?
>>
>> Generally it isn't a very nice thing for users not to go back...

> You may be misreading this - it's about turning off the "backspace
> means go back in history" functionality that some browsers have in
> some circumstances.  It's not trying to shut down back navigation
> generally.

Ah. In that case I can see the use case. But I don't think this is such an
elegant approach either, because the underlying problem is not just a
specific key but the general behaviour of the browser when you are dealing
with interactive components (editing is one). This is related to the use
cases for the aria role "application"...

> I can easily see an editting-heavy page wanting to turn off this
> behavior, as when I was still a FF user, I'd occasionally get
> accidental navigations because I didn't notice that an input or
> textarea had lost focus.

Yep. I used to have 1 and 2 for changing tabs, and could occasionally meet
the same class of problem.

cheers

chaals

--