[whatwg] Meta Referrer

Adam Barth w3c at adambarth.com
Mon Mar 5 16:45:53 PST 2012

On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs at apple.com> wrote:
> What is the plan (if any) for turning Meta Referrer into a standard?

At a high level, I was planning to wait for a second implementor to
begin their implementation before adding more details to
http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Meta_referrer.

> Currently there's a wiki spec, which is somewhat incomplete and which modifies the middle of the HTML Fetch algorithm (probably not a future-proof approach, since it refers to a numbered step):
>   http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Meta_referrer
>
> It's in the meta extension registry as a "proposal that doesn't meet requirements for registration":
>    http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/MetaExtensions

It looks like someone mistakenly reverted my edit to the
MetaExtensions page.  I've restored my previous edit from 25 October
2011 and now this meta extension is listed as meeting the requirements
for registration.

> Is there any plan to propose this for inclusion in HTML, or else write a standalone spec that is sufficiently detailed for interoperable implementations?

I discussed this topic with Hixie about this on #whatwg a while back.
We don't need to modify HTML to specify this behavior.  The <meta>
element is a light-weight extension point for HTML.  However, it would
be helpful to add hooks to the HTML specification so we don't need to
have any "as if" text in the meta referrer spec.

> What do other browser vendors think of the existing proposal? Do folks plan to implement this as-is?

This feature is listed as a P1 on Mozilla's privacy roadmap:

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Privacy/Roadmap

I should probably touch base with Sid and Tanvi to see what their
current status is.  (I've added them to the CC line of this email in
case they'd like to comment themselves.)

Adam