[whatwg] Support for RDFa in HTML5

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Mon Mar 12 12:39:38 PDT 2012

On 03/12/12 15:00, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Philipp Serafin <phil127 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I admit, I haven't really followed this debate. But out of
>> interest: Is it by now actually possible to write any kind of
>> implementation that complies to both, the HTML5 *and* the RDFa
>> specification?
>
> As Ian said, the HTML5 spec allows extensions by other
> specifications.
>
> The HTML5+RDFa specification is making use of that facility.
>
> By writing an implementation that complies with HTML5+RDFa, you
> write an implementation that complies with both.

Yes, what Benjamin and Ian said.

Additionally, HTML5+RDFa spec does not support the @version attribute in
HTML5+RDFa:

"The version attribute is not supported in HTML5 and is non-conforming.
However, if an HTML+RDFa document contains the version attribute on the
HTML element, a conforming RDFa Processor must examine the value of this
attribute. If the value matches that of a defined version of RDFa, then
the processing rules for that version must be used. If the value does
not match a defined version, or there is no version attribute, then the
processing rules for the most recent version of RDFa 1.1 must be used."

It also should be possible to write a parser implementation that is
capable of complying with both the HTML5 specification and the HTML+RDFa
specification. You may want to read the latest HTML+RDFa specification
for details:

http://www.w3.org/TR/2012/WD-rdfa-in-html-20120315/

If after reading the explanation and document above, you still do not
think this is possible, please explain exactly what you feel is not
possible and why.

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: PaySwarm Website for Developers Launched
http://digitalbazaar.com/2012/02/22/new-payswarm-alpha/