[whatwg] API for encoding/decoding ArrayBuffers into text

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Wed Mar 14 04:52:18 PDT 2012

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 00:50:43 +0100, Joshua Bell <jsbell at chromium.org>
wrote:
> For both of the above: initially suggested use cases included parsing
> data as esoteric as ID3 tags in MP3 files, where encoding unspecified
> and is
> guessed at by decoders, and includes non-Unicode encodings. It was
> suggested that the encoding sniffing capabilities of browsers be
> leveraged. (Cue a strong "nooooooo!" from Anne.)

If we can make it a deterministic, unchanging, and defined algorithm, I
think that would actually be acceptable. And ideally we do define that
algorithm at some point so new browsers can enter the existing market more
easily and existing browsers interpret existing content in the same way.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/