[whatwg] API for encoding/decoding ArrayBuffers into text

Brandon Jones tojiro at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 14:25:27 PDT 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 2:17 PM, Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky at mit.edu> wrote:

> For what it's worth, it seems like this is something we should seriously
> consider changing so as to make the web-visible endianness of typed arrays
> always be little-endian.  Authors are actively writing code (and being
> encouraged to do so by technology evangelists) that makes that assumption
> anyway....
>
> -Boris

As a WebGL developer, such a change would make my life far easier. Everyone
knows that typed arrays *can* be Big Endian, but I'm not aware of any
devices available right now that support WebGL that are. As a result we all
happily ignore that scenario and treat the entire world as Little Endian.
If and when a BE/WebGL capable device lands I'm not aware of ANY of the
existing apps that would work on it.

If we could normalize on LE, even if it meant some overhead in the browser
to compensate, a lot of devs would be grateful for it.

--Brandon