[whatwg] API for encoding/decoding ArrayBuffers into text

Jonas Sicking jonas at sicking.cc
Mon Mar 19 17:33:46 PDT 2012

On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Glenn Maynard <glenn at zewt.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 19, 2012 at 5:54 PM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:
>
>> Yes, I think we should enumerate the set of encodings supported.
>> Ideally we'd for simplicity support the same set of enumerated
>> encodings everywhere in the platform and over time try to shrink that
>> set.
>
> Shrinking the set supported for HTML will be much harder than keeping this
> set small to begin with.

What value are we adding, and to whom, by keeping the list the
smallest it can be, even when that means keeping the lists of
supported encodings different between different APIs?

The concrete costs are that authors will have to learn which encodings
work where, and that implementations need to keep separate lists of
supported encodings in different APIs.

/ Jonas