[whatwg] Image cache behaviour

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 21 06:40:38 PDT 2012

On 3/21/12 5:36 AM, Andrew Oakley wrote:
> Are there similar caches for any other type of object or is this just
> images?

Gecko has a similar (different in mechanism, but not too different in
effect) cache for stylesheets.  I seem to recall that there was explicit
text about this as well, but I can't find it now.  The closest I can
locate at the moment is the first paragraph at
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/fetching-resources.html#fetch
:

   If the resource is identified by an absolute URL, and the resource
   is to be obtained using an idempotent action (such as an HTTP GET
   or equivalent), and it is already being downloaded for other reasons
   (e.g. another invocation of this algorithm), and this request would
   be identical to the previous one (e.g. same Accept and Origin
   headers), and the user agent is configured such that it is to reuse
   the data from the existing download instead of initiating a new one,
   then use the results of the existing download instead of starting a
   new one.

-Boris