[whatwg] [canvas] request for {create, get, put}ImageDataHD and ctx.backingStorePixelRatio

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Mar 21 20:21:30 PDT 2012

On Mar 20, 2012, at 3:22 PM, Charles Pritchard wrote:

>>> Which (a): never happens
>>
>> Sorry, what never happens?
>
> The backing store itself is never set by 2x in the implementation. Not in any public implementations I've seen. It's always 1:1 with height and width units.

We're considering the possibility of scaling the backing store in future releases (which we can't really discuss in detail). We have experimented with it in WebKit, and we believe it's not viable to ship a production browser with backing store scaling without the sorts of API changes that Ted proposed because of how much content breaks.

An automatically scaled backing store is better for authors, because for the case where they are not doing any direct pixel manipulation, they get higher quality visual results with no code changes on devices that scale CSS pixels. But to offer it, we need to take care of the compatibility issues, and also provide a path for authors who have gone the extra mile to hand-scale 1x backing stores on 2x devices. In other words, all the following cases need to work:

devicePixelRatio is 1; backingStorePixelRatio is 1.
devicePixelRatio is 2; backingStorePixelRatio is 1.
devicePixelRatio is 2; backingStorePixelRatio is 2.

Maybe even other possibilities. In other words, we don't want to force either the assumption that backingStorePixelRatio is always 1, or that it is always is equal to devicePixelRatio. We believe that in time, neither is a safe assumption.

Regards,
Maciej