[whatwg] [canvas] request for {create, get, put}ImageDataHD and ctx.backingStorePixelRatio

Maciej Stachowiak mjs at apple.com
Wed Mar 21 20:29:02 PDT 2012

On Mar 20, 2012, at 12:00 PM, James Robinson wrote:

> If we are adding new APIs for manipulating the backing directly, can we
> make them asynchronous? This would allow for many optimization
> opportunities that are currently difficult or impossible.

Neat idea to offer async backing store access. I'm not sure that we should tie this to backing store access at true backing store resolution vs at CSS pixel nominal resolution, because it will significantly raise the barrier to authors recoding their existing apps to take full advantage of higher resolutions. With Ted's proposal, all they would have to do is use the HD versions of calls and change their loops to read the bounds from the ImageData object instead of assuming. If we also forced the new calls to be async, then more extensive changes would be required.

I hear you on the benefits of async calls, but I think it would be better to sell authors on their benefits separately.

Cheers,
Maciej