[whatwg] API for encoding/decoding ArrayBuffers into text

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Sun Mar 25 23:12:16 PDT 2012

On 3/25/12 7:45 AM, Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
> On 21/03/12 04:31, Mark Callow wrote:
>>
>> On 17/03/2012 08:19, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>>>
>>> I think that trying to get web developers to do this right is a lost
>>> cause, esp. because none of them (to a good approximation) have any
>>> big-endian systems to test on.
>>>
>> On what do you base this oft-repeated assertion? ARM CPUs can work
>> either way. I have no idea how the various licensees are actually
>> setting them up.
>
> All major mobile OSes use LE on ARM — I believe we currently don't ship
> anything on BE ARM. (We, do, however, currently ship on BE MIPS, though
> MIPS too is mostly LE nowadays).

Yep, exactly.  Sorry I missed the original mail from Mark, but Geoffrey
is spot on: none of the licensees actually shipping anything resembling
consumer hardware are setting up their processors to run BE, to my
knowledge.

-Boris