[whatwg] runat (or "server") attribute

Brett Zamir brettz9 at yahoo.com
Sun May 13 07:40:17 PDT 2012

On 5/13/2012 5:23 PM, Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
> On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 1:47 AM, Brett Zamir<brettz9 at yahoo.com>  wrote:
>> With Server-Side JavaScript taking off, could we reserve "runat" (or maybe
>> an even simpler and more concise "server" boolean attribute) for a standard
>> and (via CommonJS) potentially portable way for server-side files to be
>> created (and discourage use of HTML-unfriendly and
>> syntax-highlighter-unaware processing instructions)?
> "server-side files to be created" - what do you mean?

So, no matter the Server-side JavaScript engine, one could write code
like tihs:

which would become:

Standard Time)</p>

> What would this attribute do?
It would simply be reserved for server-side consumption, whether such
applications would replace the contents of the tag with HTML or perform
some non-transparent actions and just remove the tag. It would not do
anything on the client-side (though it wouldn't need to restrict the
default behavior either since it really should be consumed by the time
it reaches browsers). The purpose is simply to allow server-side
applications (such as within templates) to be able to use one HTML
syntax portably across other server-side HTML+JavaScript generating
environments (and also not be concerned that, as with data-* attributes,
that there might end up being some other future use of the attribute by
client-side HTML).

Brett