[whatwg] Implementation complexity with elements vs an attribute (responsive images)

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Sun May 13 19:03:32 PDT 2012

On 5/13/12 3:20 PM, Mathew Marquis wrote:
> I doubt any UAs will be forced to misinterpret common media queries because they haven’t been accounted for.

Opera has already been forced to do this.  For example, in its
projection mode it matches both the "projection" and "screen" media
queries (technically a spec violation) because of all the sites that
explicitly say "screen" when they really mean "not print" (or in the
absence of that query in downrev UAs when they mean "screen, projection,
tv").  Now of course part of the problem here is that "screen",
"projection", and "tv" are mutually exclusive, which is in retrospect silly.

This is an excellent example of the fundamental divide about optimism vs
pessimism here: the things that web authors doubt UA vendors will be
forced to do because of web authors making bogus assumptions are things
that UA vendors have already been forced to do for years because web
authors ... make bogus assumptions.

-Boris