[whatwg] An alternative to <picture> and srcset, is this realistic?

Matthew Wilcox mail at matthewwilcox.com
Mon May 14 04:04:04 PDT 2012

I'd contest that it is no harder to understand than it is to
understand why your CSS behaves differently when a JS element acts on
the mark-up. We are used to one stack defining how another acts. We do
it all the time. Adding classes to mark-up to control display, or just
the cascade on its own does this.

Is this harder to understand than <picture> or srcset is what really
matters. Anything we do to resolve this resource adaption problem will
by necessity complicate things. Is this better than the alternatives?

Remember too that this idea can be mixed with existing techniques, it
is not a replacement for other ways of dealing with stuff. You'd be
free to bake your media-queries into CSS in exactly the same way as
you do now, if a sub-module didn't want to respond to a generic
breakpoint, for example.

-Matt