[whatwg] Features for responsive Web design

Matthew Wilcox mail at matthewwilcox.com
Tue May 15 05:47:21 PDT 2012

That's one of the major advantages of Adaptive Images (the PHP/JS
solution) and what people most like about it when they give me
feedback - it's all automatic with no custom HTML and it does all
image generation itself.

Yes, the vast majority of people who are going to put images into
websites are not web-developers but people using some CMS. The only
way these people are going to get multiple versions of the same image
is if the CMS can do it either automatically through re-sizing (as AI
does) or through providing upload fields for each breakpoint size.

The problem for end users (CMS users) is one of asset creation -
that's not a problem which can be solved by us in the scope of this
work - but we *do* need to consider this with whatever we end up
implementing. It is *highly* likely that the majority of use cases any
adaptive HTML mechanism will be applied to will have assets reference
through some automated image creation facility - as opposed to
hand-created.

That's why setting path variables is good. It's very likely that any
CMS is going to dump images into folders based on their fitting into a
design breakpoint: exactly as Adaptive Images does now. The number of
uses where people will manually create images at all sizes to
non-predictable paths are competitively tiny.

One-off responsiveness (one image element on a page, which is unique
in terms of adaption points) is where <picture> may be useful. For
general responsiveness, the meta variable method is much more
appropriate and efficient.

-Matt