[whatwg] So if media-queries aren't for determining the media to be used what are they for?

Matthew Wilcox mail at matthewwilcox.com
Wed May 16 06:04:12 PDT 2012

If there was a way to do this in JS, we'd have found it. Every time we
run up against the pre-fetch problem. In fact, it is only the
pre-fetch problem that causes responsive images to be an issue at all.
It'd be trivial to fix with JS otherwise.

Also, i don't think non-pixel based layouts can be easily dismissed.
It's where the whole movement is going and already pixel based MQ are
described as limited and not a best practice.

-Matt